Jul 27, 2011

Pirate Workmat Freebie


Today we both were working hard in our classrooms.  It seemed like we had the copier going all afternoon.

I decided today was a good day to finish making my workmats for this coming school year.  I use these workmats as a name tag and a place where students can store popcorn words/science words/math words/etc.  Each day before the students come in, I place the workmats  at the tables where I want them to sit for the day.  During the day the students use the "front" of it as their name tag and to see the alphabet/numbers written correctly.  The back side has a clear pocket (page protector) that has been cut to 9.5 inches.  This is a spot for students to put their word lists to refer to when they are writing.  At the end of the day, the students put all 6 workmats from their table underneath the community pencil/glue supply container so that the custodian can
clean the tables.  Then the next morning, I put the workmats back out again. 




To make the workmats this year, first I printed the nametags and then cut them to be 9.5" x 7.5" (one inch off the top and one inch off the right).  Then I wrote first names onto the dotted lines and then glued them onto a piece of red polka-dotted scrapbook paper to make the border.  Next I laminated the workmats.  I do this before I glue on the nametag or the pocket to make them more durable.  Then I glued both (the nametag/alphabet-number chart and the pocket) onto a piece of black posterboard that I had cut to be 14" x 11".   I used E6000 glue from Hobby Lobby (use your 40% off coupon) to glue the nametag/alphabet-number chart to the front and the clear pocket to the back of the posterboard.  Some years I have also used a hot glue gun.  The reason I cut down the pockets to 9.5" is just to make it easier for the students to get their lists in and out. 

This all sounds more complicated than it really is.  I love using workmats because I don't have to tape anything to the tables, students can store papers in the clear pocket, I can change seats around easily and they last for the entire year.  Here are the mats I am using this year.

Pirate Work Mats PDF

5 comments:

Laurel said...

Thanks for the comment on my blog! Love this workmat idea. I'm your newest follower!

Mrs. MIner said...

This is a fantastic idea! Thanks for sharing your boards...so cute! Got to your blog from my contest!
Krissy
Mrs.Miner’s Monkey Business

Kerri said...

What a great idea! Wish I had seen it before I made my name plates for their tables. Cute pirates!

http://mskerriandherkrazykindergarten.blogspot.com/

Rose said...

Great idea, wish I was using pirates this year. Thanks for sharing this.
The Wonderful World of Kindergarten

PreKMom said...

Great Idea. Thanks for sharing. I'm your newest follower and thanks for following me.

PrekMomDotCom