Aug 17, 2011

Bucket Dippers, Bucket Fillers



Last year I purchased the books and did research on this topic of Bucket Fillers/Bucket Dippers.  My student teacher and I bought into the program so we started it mid year.  In kindergarten, we found it difficult for the kids to fill out the piece of paper.  So, we used die cut stars to put into the buckets when we saw/heard them being a bucket filler.  The problem was that some of the kids who were always bucket fillers didn't have as many stars because we were focusing on some of the "bucket dipper" students.  We used this system along with the colored discipline ticket system.

After several hours on Pinterest, blogging, and just plain brainstorming I have come up with a system that I am going to use for this coming school year.  My students are still going to do the colored ticket system for their individual behavior, but I am also going to use the bucket dipper/bucket filler as a class goal.
Here is my plan...I made 2 jars titled dipper/filler.  I have a large black bucket that will hold the 20 balls that I purchased at Target in the dog toy section.  Each morning we will start out with the 20 balls in the black bucket.  We will count the balls each day to practice counting to 20.  When I hear/see a student or the entire class doing something great, then we will take a ball from the black bucket and place it into the filler bucket.  At the end of the day, we will predict if we have more balls in the dipper or filler containers.  Then we will count the balls in each container and write the numbers.  We will discuss which container had more/less.

As you can see, I am not only going to be able to use this for our class behavior goals but I am also going to be able to integrate some math standards.  As the first couple of days pass, I plan on making class goals with the students to challenge them to see if they can have 10 or more filler balls into the container and less than 3 balls into the dipper container.  I am excited about using this concept to help promote all students in my class being bucket fillers.  If we make our class goal each day/week/month then we can have some kind of reward...extra recess, ice cream party, 10 minutes of extra center time, etc.   Well, off to finish up data binder spine name tags because we go our class lists today!!   

6 comments:

Crayons and Curls said...

Love this! Thanks for sharing the idea! :)
Cheryl
Crayons and Curls

Mrs. Bee said...

This is so cute!! Great idea!!
Mrs. Bee
Bee's KinderGarden

Mrs. Bee said...

This is so cute!! Great idea!!
Mrs. Bee
Bee's KinderGarden

Peterson's Primary Peeps said...

Thanks for sharing! This is a great way to do it ! Check out my blog for a giveaway http://petersonsprimarypeeps.blogspot.com/

Mrs. Yakesh said...

Great visual for the kinders! I LOVE the 'Have you filled a bucket today?' books and plan on using them in my k class this year. My son's kinder teacher read it to him 2 years ago and it completely resonated with him.

Ms. Preppy said...

I absolutely LOVE this idea! I've wanted to implement bucket fillers, but struggled because my kids rotate classes. I think I could totally do this. (And I'm a primary math teacher, so integrating math standards makes it that much sweeter.) Thank you!!

Ms. Preppy's Adventures in Primary and Polka Dots