Sep 14, 2011

Guided Journal Writing



I am truly amazed at how well the students are understanding leaving space and putting punctuation at the end of the sentences just from about 2 weeks of guided journal writing.  The biggest improvement that I have seen in their journal writing is their being able to sound out the words and their handwriting/formation of the letters.  They love to draw a picture to illustrate what we wrote and part of our writing rubric is that they draw a picture that matches what they wrote.  They also have to be able to label the picture.  They truly are understanding why they are learning the sounds so that they can make a connection with reading/writing.
Next week I plan to introduce them to the actual writing rubric for all kindergarten students in our district that is based on a 4 point scale.  I will share this with you as we work on it next week.  We do a monthly writing that is done independently.  This writing is scored and sent home to parents each month so that they can monitor their child's progress.
Students working hard on guided journal writing

I am helping them by writing on my SMARTBoard

Coloring picture that matches our text

Finished project
    

4 comments:

Chrissy said...

This is one of the many reasons why I love kindergarten! Your photos are terrific! Good job :-)

ReadWriteSing

Ashley Nichols said...

I would love to know more about your guided journal writing!! How you do it? Do they all write the same thing? How do you decide on what to write about? I think I am really liking this idea!! :)

Andi said...

They are so precious! I love their writing already! Wish my K teachers would do that!!

very very blessed said...

I think this is an excellent idea. It is encouraging to the children to write.