Oct 19, 2011

Pumpkin Life Cycle Booklets and 2-D/3D Shapes Booklet

Just got home from my last conference!!  We have had conferences from 4-8 4 nights the last couple of weeks.  I will be doing the happy dance come Monday of Thanksgiving week when I can walk out Monday with the kids and have a 6 day vacation. 

We have been working hard this week on preparing for the pumpkin patch.  I was "preparing" my camera for pictures at the pumpkin patch and remembered I had Columbus Day Activities that I wanted to delete, so I decided to go ahead a share them, too. 

Today was day 2 of my shape booklets and the students are loving it and learning so much.  They really can compare these shapes, tell the number of vertices, count the number of faces, etc.  More pictures to come on this topic!!

Student working on coloring his illustrations in his pumpkin life cycle book.

Students working hard on illustrating their pumpkin books.



Front cover of our pumpkin booklets.

Step one and step two of the pumpkin life cycle.

Step three and four of pumpkin booklets.

Step five and six of our pumpkin books.  We are learning this information so that we have prior knowledge before we go to the pumpkin patch on Friday!!

Reading, discussing, and solving our daily math journal page together.  We also butter popcorn words and circle key words that will hep us solve the problem.

Our shape booklets that are on our TPT store.  These booklets contain both 2-D and 3-D shapes. 

We started our booklets today after about a 2 week study of 2-D and 3-D shapes.  I was truly amazed at how much my kiddos knew about these shapes.

Sample pages of our cube page we discussed and completed together. 

Check out the precise drawing of a cube!!  I guided the students on how to make a cube and I was thrilled at how well they followed directions!!

Last week we started our version of a "KWL" chart during our Christopher Columbus unit.  We added to our chart throughout the week, but I forgot to take pictures!!

Students worked on a graph about their favorite apple snack that we had during our apple unit.

Students were analyzing their data in order to answer questions about these snacks.


One of the best parts of our Columbus Day unit was making these boats.  Totally a Pinterest steal!!

The students really enjoyed these tasty snacks.  We used jello for the water.  Cool whip for the waves.


We used an orange slice for the boat, a stir stick and triangle for the sail.  We had to incorporate those 2-D and 3-D shapes during this fun snack!!  The cup was a cylinder shape, the stir stick had a sphere on the top, the orange slice came from a sphere, and the triangle was a 2-D shape.

9 comments:

Mara said...

Hi!
I just found your blog and I love your ideas. I was looking for a good little book to teach how pumpkins grow. I love yours! Would you mind sharing it? It's so simply and the perfect amount of text for my kinders.
You have great ideas, I bet your kids have so much fun in your room!
Mara

Maryann said...

Hi Robyn!
I love these ideas-pumpkin booklet and the shapes!! What a neat idea to share!
Are these on TPT to purchase?
Thanks so much!
Maryann
brennemm@carlisleschools.org

Busy Bees said...

The shape stuff was just put on our TPT store. Mara~The pumpkin booklet can be emailed to you if you get us your email. Maryann we have your email, so we will get that to you in the next day or two because we will have to scan it off.
Enjoy!
BusyBees

Mrs. Carson said...

I love the pumpkin book! It is so much cuter than the one I have been using. I would love a copy if you don't mind sharing!
thecarsons@yahoo.com

Lupita said...

can i please have the pumpkin stuff. It is so great!!!
gmedina@dixonmontessori.org

Thanks!!!!

Ada Frank said...

I so enjoy your creative ideas. I would love to have the pumpkin life cycle book. Will you please email me it?
alfrank@carolina.rr.com

Kal-a-lily said...

So would love to use your pumpkin booklet:) Would you please share it with us? kalikondrat@gmail.com

Mrs. Daniels First Grade said...

Can you please share your pumpkin life cycle book with me.
Tammy Daniels
Tam118dans@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

I am a Kindergarten student teacher. I would love a copy of your pumpkin life cycle book. Could you e-mail it to me? Thanks for the great resources!
Sandy
z_grossmasn1@titan.sfasu.edu