Feb 25, 2012

DIBELS...How To Keep My Top Kids Challenged

Our district gives the Dibels test 3 times a year.  I have been working hard with the kiddos since the end of September on these Dibels components.  We started out with Letter Naming Fluency for homework practice.  Then we moved into segmenting and initial sound fluency.  And finally we have worked on reading nonsense words.  

We have worked on them during our reading time and I have included them this year in my homework packet.  These have proven to be SOOOOOOO useful this year in both my classroom for practice and for an easy way to involve parents with these Dibels goals.  

Here is what I have used this 2011-2012 school year.  You can find it on our TPT store:
Letter Naming Fluency and Initial Sound Fluency Homework Packet for only $1.00
Segmenting Words for Dibels and Dibels Next Practice for $1.00
Nonsense Words Homework For Dibels and Dibels Next Practice for $1.00


I have used these above "homework packets" in my classroom too for Dibels practicing.  I put them right up on my SMARTBoard each morning for us to practice.  I have put these cards at a center for them to use during their Daily 5 read to self and read to someone.  Some cards have dots for those kids who need tracking and the other cards do not have dots.  I use these with parent volunteers and University observation students.
Nonsense Cards For Dibels and Dibels Next Practice for $1.50
  

Since the last testing was completed I have been asking myself...How Can I Keep My Top Kids Challenged?  All of my top kids can "read" the nonsense words by reading the whole word and not sound it out.  I am finding my "middle of the pack" kids are able to read some of those whole word, but are able to meet the end of the year benchmark goal now on sounding out those individual sounds.  So, we have put together some "fluency cards" or "fluency booklets" for the kiddos to work on to keep there skills moving towards next year's oral reading fluency benchmarks.

Cruising Through Fluency Phrases (click this for easy access to our TPT store) is a packet that we have put together to practice reading phrases.  We practice reading them with expression and at a "faster" pace for fluency.  These can be put into booklets for the students or you can make individual cards.  I made booklets for every child in my room.  When the students come into my class first thing in the morning and get their morning jobs done, this is one of the things they do when their morning jobs are all done.  We also work on reading them together as a "choral read" during our reading block.  This booklet is incorporated into my Daily 5.  The students read this booklet to their self and also use it to read to someone else.  

I made some sets of these cards for the students to use, too.  They have used them with a parent volunteer, their second grade helper, and as a different "type
of book that they can read.


We are currently working on some ideas for my next homework packet to round out the end of the year.  It has to do with some Oral Reading Passages.  It will be up and ready in the next couple of weeks since our 3rd nine weeks is over in the middle of March.  This booklet will take me to the end of the year. 

What Do You Do For Dibels Practicing?  We would love to hear!!  Leave us a comment!

Oh, forgot to tell ya...I made a TON and I mean a TON of Dr. Seuss Math Freebies coming your way throughout the week.  Gotta finish them up!!   
 

8 comments:

Angela said...

I definitely have them practice NWF in centers and it is also in their fluency folders. Transitioning to K from 1st this year, I've found it best to incorporate NWF with CVC words, and it has seemed to help them. Before I did this, some students seemed to be afraid of nonsense words. I will definitely check out your packs, I need all the help I can get! Thanks!

Angela
The Daily Alphabet

laughinbrunette (Jennifer) said...

Games like "Banger" for phrasing...lots of reading...sound charts... you name it! lol
Jennifer

First Grade Blue SKies

Kaci Hoffer said...

Oh I just LOVE your LNF pack, I have been using it to progress moniter some of my kiddos. I have added the other three to my shopping cart so I can use them starting Monday.

Like I said one of the things I do, is play a lot of I have...Who has? And Splat for NWF. For PSF I do a lot of beginning/ending sounds and unscrambling cvc words in my centers. And repitition, repitition, repitition for LNF.

Busy Bees said...

Thanks for some great game and center activities. I will have to explore some of these items to add to my collections!
Thanks!

Eileen said...

HI all-- remember it is not about passing the nonsense word test-- it is about how kids are learning to blend cvc words. Please don't send home Nonsense words to practice... send home real words and have real words for them to practice on in the centers. Practicing nonsense words is not an effective teaching practice.

Busy Bees said...

Being able to decode and/or read nonsense words is a prerequisite to word identification. It is one of the alphabetic principle skills that kids should be able to do in order to decode words. If you progress monitor all of the components of the kindergarten sections of the DIBELS, then you know what specific alphabetic principle skills a student needs to understand. By "practicing" these components, a minute during the day and a minute at home, kids truly do improve and understand all of the alphabetic principle skills. Once a student can do all of those areas, then research shows he/she should be a successful reader. It is my job as a kindergarten teacher to strengthen all of those components of the Dibels. Research says that kids just can't "memorize" CVC words or sight words because there are simply too many words in the English language. They also need to be able to decode words so that they have another strategy when they read words they don't know. So truly understanding nonsense words "makes" a child learn how to decode words such as CVC words. There are some great websites on DIBELS that truly explains all of DIBELS elements and the progression of these throughout the different grade levels. I used to think that learning how to read nonsense words was crazy too, but after tons of staff development and my own research I truly understand why kids have to learn to decode and read nonsense words.

Michelle Tsivgadellis said...

THANK YOU SOOOOOO MUCH for the shout out! You both are wonderful! I love your blog interface...it is so huge!!

I am your newest follower!

Thank you
Michelle

The 3AM Teacher

mommy of Five said...

i love this blog! I didn't "follow" you but you are in my feed! i'll be back. you have so many cute and awesome ideas. this year i'm using a cyber school for 4 of my kids.(an 8 year old, 6 year old and twins who started kindergarten early we also have a two year old that loves to join in) . taking this cyber school one step at a time but would LOVE to do 100% "homeschool. just not sure where to begin so right now we are praying about what to do.
thanks for the dr. Seuss ideas as well