Mar 1, 2012

Fluently Adds Within 5 - One Fish Two Fish


Here's another freebie for you to use in your classroom.  I just copied it on white cardstock, laminated, and it was ready to go.  The kids have truly understood addition by practicing these quick math centers from this week.  Headed into subtraction next week.  We are going to review other skills at the same time, but our big focus will be subtraction. 

After giving my addition assessment today, we had some extra time, so we talked about the colors in the rainbow.  The kids had never heard of the color indigo.  They thought it was really funny when I lifted up one of the students on the table who had indigo jeans on.

After discussing the colors, I got out our rainbow spinners and graphs.  I paired the students and they worked together spinning and colored the graphs.  At the end, each student looked at their own graph and wrote what color they had the most of and least of.

Here are some pictures of our fun graphing from today...

These 2 were discussing how to make indigo.  They problem solved to say that they were going to use both purple and blue since it really was a mixture of those colors.

Spinning to read and color in the graph.

Why do they get so excited when they can use markers!?!  You would think they won the lottery!!

These 2 students are trying to agree what the color is that the spinner landed on.  These two worked so hard together.




This rainbow graph is located on our TPT store called Lucky Literacy Activities. 
As always, drop us a line if you enjoy our Dr. "S" freebie.  My kids are soooo excited about the new movie coming out tomorrow. 





Fluently Adds Within 5 - One Fish Two Fish

8 comments:

rebecca sutton said...

This is super cute!! Thanks for sharing!! I love your blog!
Hugs,
Rebecca
Teaching First

Tiffani Mugurussa said...

These are perfect thanks for sharing. I have a question what is in the binders behind the girls working at the table. The neatly organized shelf caught my eye.
✿Tiffani Time 4 Kindergarten

meadowt said...

Thanks for sharing. I just found your sight and became your newest follower! Thanks for all the wonderful resources!
Barbara
happyteachingfirst.blogspot.com

Busy Bees said...

Tiffani~The binders are my data binders. I put lots of things in them to chart progress throughout the school year, and then send them home at the end of the year as a collection of their kindergarten year.

Tiffani Mugurussa said...

Cool- I thought maybe they were for your kids, but couldn't read what the binders said. That is a great idea. What all do you include in it- is is just assessments, or classwork?

Tiffani

Busy Bees said...

We keep letter/sound progress, sight word progress, writing assessment grade by a rubric, monthly behavior charts, collection of daily journal writings since the first day of school. At the end of the year, it is a nice collection to send home to parents to show growth. We also keep a Watch Me Grow project with monitors how they write their name, numbers, shapes, and words.

Ms. Kerri's Krazy Kindergarten said...

I have loved your Dr. Seuss adding games this week. I'm going to be putting these into centers the next few weeks. Thanks so much for sharing.

Buggy In Kindergarten said...

I just gave you an award! Come over to my blog to check it out!!