Jun 16, 2012

Leader In Me, 21st Century Exiting Meeting, Math Core Standards, and Packing

Has My Summer Even Started...
Well, do you ever feel like your brain is spinning!?!  We have been out of school officially for about 2 weeks.  In the last 2 weeks, I have had 2 awesome days of Leader In Me Training with staff members from our school and our sister school, 3 days of intense thinking on the common core math standards, a presentation for how I used technology last year in kindergarten, and trying to help my son get packed for his move to Texas.  This week doesn't look to be too much less...1 day of Leader in Me Training, 1 day of Math common core standards Planning, helping Jacob pack, and preparing for Vacation Bible School the following week.  SO, I am looking forward to my summer beginning soon!!

With my Math Common Core Standards meeting, another kindergarten teacher and I were in charge of: 
1.  Taking the kindergarten math standards and choosing priority standards and supporting
     standards
2.  Typing up KUD (Know, Understand, and Do) charts for kindergarten
3.  Creating Pre and Post Tests for kindergarten students to help support a year's growth for each
     student to help us design our groups
4.  Creating assessments that will be used for the grade cards(which will need to be revamped)
5.  Aligning our math series, Growing With Math, with the priority/supporting standards so that we
     know what lessons we need to supplement
6.  Mapping out our year long study of how to spiral many of the priority/supporting standards
     throughout the year using blooms taxonomy.

Now with all of that said, I had better get busy here real soon with organizing my August/September Math files.  So look forward to seeing ideas on 2-D shapes and Numbers 0-10 focus.  Once we get everything typed up, we will share with you so that we can get other ideas from you!!

One question I do have and would LOVE comments from is does your district do pre/post testing in Math for students.  If so, how do yours look, how often do you give them?

Enjoy your Father's Day with your family!! 


9 comments:

Elisabeth said...

We used to do pre and post testing for each unit. Now we only do a post test. Some of our units were short and this required too much testing in a short amount of time. We know do common assessments across the grade and analyze the data to see what students might need extra help. I'm moving out of the classroom into a Instructional Facilitator role in a K-2 school, so I'll be stalking you for lots of helpful tips :)

Twins, Teaching and Tacos.

Busy Bees said...

Thanks for the tips! One thing that we are "watching" for is we don't want to get into testing too much and not being able to teach!!

Katie said...

We do a pre-test, mid-year test, and post-test for our math curriculum (Envison.) We also do AIMS testing 3x a year on our students. Their scores determine if they need to be in a push-in math group. (We have push-in resource teachers for math and reading.)

Katie
Dirty Hands and Lesson Plans

Mrs. Cole & Mrs. Osborne said...

Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. I am so excited to begin the Leader in Me process. We had 1 day of vision training and will do 3 days in July. I'm eager to get started on data notebooks and sharing what we are doing on our school Leader in Me blog. I am going to add your blog to my blog roll on my new blog. I'm trying to only put blogs that are using Leader in Me.

And if you want to share any of the common core documents you are working on, I'd love to see them. My teaching partner and I will be doing the same thing later in the summer.

Diana
coleslittlepups.blogspot.com
countryheightsleaderinme.blogspot.com

Susie Q said...

We have done pre/post testing in math for each standard in math, and yes, it does seem like that's all you are doing is testing. However, after we give the pre-test, we then sort out the students by their scores and that data lets us know what students need pre-teaching, reteaching, review, or enrichment. We found our students improving immensely in their mastery of each standard.

susieqsclass@gmail.com

Mrs. Cole said...

My teaching partner and I are looking for kindergarten or first grade classes who are implementing hte 7 habits to begin Skyping or pen pals. Would this be something that you would be interested in? You can email me:
dcole@dcps.org

Diana
coleslittlepups.blogspot.com
countryheightsleaderinme.blogspot.com

Busy Bees said...

Just emailed you! Hope to hear from you soon!

Amanda Madden said...

Just found your cute blog and am your newest follower! We do pretest and post test each math unit. I dread it sometimes, but it really is amazing to see their growth!!

Amanda
Teaching Maddeness
Come join my giveaway!

Freckleteacher said...

Wow! You are having a very busy summer full of great in-services and working on curriculum. I can'r believe that people think we have 3 months off in the summer!

We have not done pre and post testing in our District for math. Just the 3 times per year of report card assessments.

This coming year we will be using AimsWeb (hopefully) and the progress monitoring tests will be helpful. I like the idea of pre-testing to differentiate, but i am also leary of lots of testing and little teaching. It is such a balance!