Jul 3, 2012

Posting At Panera


We had a bad storm come through our area last Friday afternoon and unfortunately thousands of people are without power.  Without power it also means no internet, no tv, etc.  The good thing is that everyone is ok.  SueBeth just got hers back on yesterday.  We live out in the country, so I am hoping it will be REAL SOON!!  They are hoping to have 90% back up by July 7. 

Without internet it means I can't blog, Pinterest, etc.  This kind of a disaster kind of shows us how addicted we are to the internet!!

However, with our son leaving soon for Texas, we have got a lot of packing and cleaning done these last few days.  My husband is a supervisor for the state and has been putting in TONS of hours lately trying to help with the tree pick up.  They still say we did not have a tornado, but we had over 85 MPH winds.  We lost trees, but we feel fortunate that nothing happened to the house or anybody!!

I have had a few questions about guided writing.  Several of my kids come in that first day of school too knowing few letters/sounds, but I still do this type of guided writing with everyone.  I feel it is great modeling for handwriting, segmenting, and sentence structure.  It is also great for helping kids with the popcorn words I like since those words are what I typically start the sentences out with at the very beginning of school.  The modeled picture drawing is another great writing time with the students because it helps TONS with fine motor.  It also helps with students understanding the developmental process of drawing pictures of people.  Many kids draw the head and have arms/legs sticking out of the head.  Once we practice for a month how to draw a person, it is truly amazing how improved their fine motor and pictures are in just a short amount of time.  With the storm we have been a little behind creating our August/September Writing Packet, but I PROMISE it will be real soon and REAL EASY!!

Well, just finished paying my bills and now going to start working on some of my to do things for school.  My daughter is taking 15 hours of online classes this summer, so I am thinking that we might be at Panera for awhile!!

Please keep our community in your thoughts and prayers as we make it through this tough time~    

5 comments:

Lisa R. said...

That's scary. Thank goodness that everyone is okay! I hope that everything gets back to normal for you soon! :)

Lisa
Learning Is Something to Treasure

Katie said...

This weather has been crazy everywhere!!! I'm glad you're surviving :)

Katie
Dirty Hands and Lesson Plans

FirstGradeBlueSkies (Jennifer) said...

Glad you're ok! (LOVE Panera! =)
Jennifer
First Grade Blue Skies

Mrs. M said...

My thoughts & prayers are with you & your community during this difficult time.


Color Me Kinder

Barbara said...

I heard about that storm ... I'm glad to hear you're okay.

I need to do more directed drawing with my kids. Thanks for the reminder :)


❀Barbara❀
Grade ONEderful
Ruby Slippers Blog Designs