Jul 4, 2012

RTI Ideas For Kindergarten



Happy to report that our power has been restored.  We have tv and internet so everyone is happy. 
Since our son is moving to Texas REAL soon, I have been cleaning out a lot of things in our house.  Some of the things I came across were different things that we have done or ideas that I have collected for kindergarten RTI time.  Sometimes we have used DIBELS scores and have grouped the kids according to their scores between the 3 kindergarten classrooms.  We worked heavy on Dibels components during these group times. 

Our reading teachers and special ed teachers are also a part of this team.  At the beginning of the year, I would love to see our most at risk kids get pulled for RTI time every day to work on those beginning reading/writing skills.  Most of these kids need intense name writing, name identification, and letter recognition/sounds.  I think I like this this best at the beginning of the year because those kids need intense intervention to get on the right track.  These kids typically are the same kids that I sent to reading intervention time, so they are getting double dipped which is what they need. 
How does your classroom/school handle RTI?  Would be interested in knowing what you do!!

6 comments:

Amy Grout said...

Hi Robynn....I'm so glad you found my blog, especially when I see your post. I have taught 2nd grade self-contained Intensive Reading for the last 4 years. Next year, I am going to be a half-day K-2 ESE co-teacher and a half-day RTI teacher. I am very excited about being able to focus on a selected group of students. I'll be able to tailor my times with them to meet their specific needs and when they are with me or I am in their classrooms, they will be my focus, rather than having to divide my attention between them and the rest of my little darlings. One of the resources that I have used, in addition to DIBELS, is cbm.org (or cbm.com...I never remember LOL). Anyway, it is an amazing site - it has downloadable measures in both reading and math. For K it has both letter and word fluency. Beginning in 1st, I believe, it adds reading comp. The last time I logged in, the site was free. I hope you find it helpful.
Amy

Mrs. M said...

Our RTI time is only twice a week at my school. Our counselor assists and our resource room teacher. There is a whole lot of paperwork we have to fill out before referring kids though so I hate to admit that it can be more of a hassle sometimes :(

Color Me Kinder

Karlie said...

As a special ed teacher that is my preference as well! I agree that the double dipping is important for the kiddo-s!

The previous school I worked for had only incorporated RtI intervention groups at two of the grade levels. In Kindergarten it worked VERY well, but we only did it 2 times a week, plus if students were identified Title I or Special Ed they got those additional services.

Since I'm going to a new district this year I'm very nervous about what they will be doing. Whatever they do, hopefully it works well!


We are ALL Special!

Busy Bees said...

We did it 3 times a week for about 20 minutes a few years ago. Last year we had schedule 15 minutes, but it was really going to be 10 minutes so we opted to allow the teachers to do some progress monitoring.

Karlie said...

Well, hopefully you will be able to incorporate more intervention times this year. I know schedule is just so tricky! It will drive us all batty;)

I just noticed your comment on my blog...How was the training that went along with the Understanding the Framework of Poverty book? Was it like a one day session? I haven't heard of Leader In Me training. I'll have to look into that more.

We are ALL Special!

Katie Lawson said...

I have given you an award! Please go to my blog & read the post "My First Blog Award" to see how to claim it. Excellent blog! http://kindergartenfunn.blogspot.com/2012/07/my-first-blog-award.html