Sep 11, 2012

2-D Shapes Unit Is Underway


For the last 2 weeks, we have been working hard on identifying our 2-D flat shapes, counting corners, counting sides, and having fun with different centers.  We just wrapped up one of the books that is in our Flat Shape 2-D Unit.  The students had a great time reading the book and buttering(highlighting) our popcorn words. We are going to practice reading our books a couple more days this week before we take them home.  Next up with our shape unit is some sorting shapes, our edible 2-D flat shapes activities, positional words, and using other objects in the environment to create other flat shapes. 
Here is a sample of what our booklets looked like:


This booklet was a fun activity to integrate across the curriculum.  We used our math standards along with some reading standards.  We assessed the students over 2-D shapes and I am hoping that they did a wonderful job.  I am going to predict the hexagon was the hardest one!  SueBeth helped me design some assessment sheets and checklists that I will show how I am using to help drive my instruction.

4 comments:

Alisha George said...

I would love to see your 2D edible shapes lesson(s)! Sounds like fun! I don't remember if it was you or another blog but I do a 3D edible shapes lesson and the kids have sooo much fun!

Teacher and Life Long Learner said...

WONDERFUL!! I haven't started shapes, but your post gets my gears going-thanks! Stop by anytime! SMILES!

Erica said...

Yay! We are doing 2D shapes too! This is great!

Erica
Sprinkles to Kindergarten
erica_crowder0612@yahoo.com

Cindy Calenti said...

Delightful! I can hardly wait to see what you will be doing for your 3D edible shapes. Hope you share that also.

Cindy

Granny Goes to School