Feb 5, 2013

January Kindergarten Writing Samples


Each month our district requires us do a writing sample.  This year we are doing some opinion, narrative, and informative samples.  For the month of January, the kids did an informative paper.  They had to write about what they wear to go outside.  During these writings, I cannot offer help to the kids. They put up offices and they have to do their best work.
At the end of the year, our students have to score at least a 3 on our writing rubric to be considered "on target" for end of the year writing.
This year SueBeth has helped me design monthly packets that incorporate these different types of writings.  These packets are put together to be used as guided writing "sessions" and also for independent journal writing.  Check out our latest packet to help you with meeting the Writing Common Core Standards:  February Journal Topics For Kindergarten Level Guided Writing





Here are some samples of my January Writings using the writing rubric.  These go in their data binders, so that is why I have written some words above the "mispelled" words so that you know what they were writing.  This master copy goes in their data binder and I send home a copy to the parents with the writing rubric attached to the paper.

This writing received a 3++ on the writing rubric.  It was so close to a 4.  I just thought that he could still work on writing more sentences and not so many "ands".

Here is the 2nd page of his writing on what he would wear outside on a snowy day.
This student received a 2+.  I am soooooo proud of this student of the progress that has been made.  He has gone from a long string of letters to this writing!  I can't wait to see what he does the next few months.  I am very confident he will get at least a 3.

Here is the last page of the above student's writing.  I love how he has an ending or wrap up sentence to his writing!!


I am so proud of this student.  Even though he received a 0 on the writing rubric I can begin to see letters that are recognizable and beginning to see some spacing on the next page.

Here is the last page of his writing.  I see a lot of repetitive letters and he wasn't able to read his own writing.  He tried his best and was so proud of this writing!

This student received a 4++ on the writing rubric. He has a topic sentence of what he likes to wear outside.

You have got to love the word cozy that he uses at the end of this sentence.

You have gotta love the ending sentence to his writing, too.  I scored this one a 4++ just because of all the descriptive words that he uses in his 3 pages of describing what he would wear outside on a snowy day!
I scored this writing a 4.  She uses capitals/lowercase letters, leaves space, and uses many beginning/medial/and ending sounds to stretch out her words.

Gotta love where she says she has fluffy brown boots because she really does!  Also love her ending sentence of she loves to stay warm outside!


Well, I thought I would give you a little "taste" of different types of writing that I am seeing in my classroom.  Writing is one of my favorite things to do and I think the kids are really starting to gain confidence in what they are doing.  We do guided writing every day of the year in kindergarten. 

This week we are working hard on making informational books about walruses.  The kids just love writing "facts".  Today we got our facts from a book we read and watching a video on the internet.  They loved the video!



5 comments:

Angela Griffith said...

Thank you so much for sharing your writing, I can see several of my kiddos stages of writing in your class!

Angela
The Daily Alphabet

School Sparks Renee said...

Wow! You have a wide range of abilities in your class. It is fun to see how excited you are about helping each child grow and learn. The monthly sample is a great way to track progress and it is also terrific to send the sample and rubric home for parents to see and know what is expected of their child. Thanks so much for sharing. Renee

Mrs. Lindsey said...

Like you, I love to see the growth in writing with kindergarten. It's amazing what they can do!

Lindsey
Lovin’ Kindergarten

Country Heights Elementary said...

I love it!!! I plan to post our ploar animal research informative writing next week. We worked 2 weeks on it. I'm glad to see other kindergarten classes writing informative writing. I use the Writing Conventions Rubric from "Kid Writing" with my students. Do you use it as well????

Diana
Cole's Little Pups

Teach Junkie said...

I'd love to read more about your guided writing! Would you consider sharing some of your ideas?

-Leslie
KindergartenWorks.com

TeachJunkie.com