Apr 16, 2013

Adopt A Sea Turtle For Earth Day

Our sea turtle project has been up and running.  We completed journals together last week writing informational entries.  So, I thought I wanted to see how much information the kids retained from the nonfiction books I read along with the journal booklets we wrote.  I gave the students some journal paper and told them that I wanted them to do an independent writing on things they learned about sea turtles.  I thought the kids did great job with their writings. I took these writings, typed them up, and are going to make an Earth Day Save the Sea Turtles booklet for each child.  Here are some independent journal samples:









Once I have their booklets done, I will share what those look like.  Our selling of Turtle Water(colored kool-aid) starts in a couple of days.  We are trying to raise $25.00 by selling this water so we can adopt a sea turtle.  My kids have loved this project which is going to conclude at the end of Earth Day "week".



3 comments:

Mr. First Grade said...

This is such a wonderful idea! Since it's only my first year, I'm not going "all out" for Earth Day, but I will definitely be remembering this idea for next year! I'm sure your students will remember this forever!

Andrew
Mr. First Grade

Sarah Paul said...

This is such a great idea! First of all, turtles are my favorite animal. I love the idea of adopting a sea turtle. My kids would be so excited about that!

Their writing looks fabulous by the way!
Sarah
Sarah's First Grade Snippets

Busy Bees said...

They can't wait to start selling turtle water. I am anxious to see how much money they make from doing it!!