Mar 8, 2015

Leprechaun Traps...Begin With The End In Mind Home Project

We have definitely been using the habit Begin With The End In Mind in our classroom this past week.  The kids have been discussing how they can catch the leprechaun.  Of course, every time we say the word leprechaun we have to whisper it.  So, every poem, book, and message we are reading for the next several days will require us to whisper "that word".  This is such a fun way to engage ALL learners in your class.
Our focus this past week was to investigate and find out what things the "leprechaun" likes so that we know what to use in our traps.  Then once we found out these items, they started to use their creativity and were brainstorming how they were going to design a trap to catch him.  
This weekend and through next Wednesday they are designing this trap and will bring it to school.  The day they bring it to school, they will use their speaking skills to tell us how they plan on catching that leprechaun.  I will allow them to set the trap one night in our room and then I will send it home the very next day so I don't have 24 traps in my classroom at one time.  
I did design a homework "packet" for them to fill out at home that they will also bring in to me the day that are bringing the trap back to school.  
I ran into one of my sweet little girls and her family at Hobby Lobby on Saturday in the parking lot and let's just say she ran out of her car as FAST as she could run to tell me that they were getting supplies to make her trap.  She proceeded to tell me her plan and what things she was buying...so as her mother said to say she is a tad bit excited is a UNDERSTATEMENT!!!  Can't wait to see their leprechaun trap inventions!!
One of the best things about this project is the amount of standards I am hitting with this project:  speaking, listening, reading, and writing!! 
 

No comments: