Jul 11, 2015

Differentiated Homework Booklet Done For The Entire Year...WOO-HOO


I have been doing a DIBELS based homework booklet for several years.  Last year was the first year that I decided to put the booklet together for the entire year.  I placed it into a 3 ring binder.  Inside that binder I also placed a pencil pouch so that things could be placed inside this pouch.  I use a skill ring that I place inside the box.  I will explain this in another post.

What is in my DIBELS based homework?  I place Letter Naming Fluency, First Sound Fluency, Segmenting, Nonsense Words and Sentence Fluency

My parents ABSOLUTELY love this homework booklet.  I don't ask my parents, they tell me when they see me at conferences, when they volunteer, etc. They love the consistency each night and they love how they can monitor their child's progress towards the benchmark goal or their child's personal goal of exceeding that goal. They tell me that their child wants to do homework so that they can reach their goals.

The kids love it.  When I check them in each morning I don't ask they just let me with excitement...Mrs. Drerup you are going to die when you see how many letters I got last night in a minute or you and going to scream when you see how many whole words I read in a minute, etc.  The kids take TOTAL ownership of self monitoring their progress and their learning towards specific goals.

The teacher loves it.  My booklets were done prior to July 1!!  I changed the dates which we are making editable this year and threw it in the copier.  I ran it 2 sided to 2 sided to save paper and with a click they were finished.  They are done for the whole year.  It has helped my kids tremendously with those beginning reading skills that are so important to becoming a successful reader.  Our district does dibels testing and the students do great with their end of the year scores.  

If your district does not give the DIBELS test these are still VERY IMPORTANT skills that all kindergarten students need to be successful with in order to read/write. 

Our next few blog posts I will show pictures and explain our homework booklet.  We are getting ready to update our Homework Booklet to make it EDITABLE and give you a couple of additional options of creating your own booklet to make it fit the needs of your classroom!!!   

2 comments:

Amanda Neighbors said...

What a great idea. Looking forward to learning more about these homework folders. If I purchase these now, will I be able to upgrade if you do make these editable?
Thanks!

paper comparison checker said...

So we are nearly able to transcribe all those facts as mentioned here and it will be a good thing to experience on.